Tuesday, October 6, 2009

days three and four: costume round-up

I've fallen somewhat behind on my posting, what with the last-minute pre-show madness, and then the post-show decompression period. The following performance stills (credit: J. Lunn) are not the most detailed shots of my costumes imaginable, but they do make a change from photos of garments laid out on my hardwood floor.

Day Three:
red/black glitter dot spangle top and booty shorts for my "pyro-clowning" act. The spangle knit was a real pain in the ass to work with because all the cut edges rolled and it was almost impossible to get an accurate seam allowance. I did alright with the shorts, but I quickly gave up on trying to make a top from scratch, and ended up draping (and pinning, and eventually stitching) over an existing bra top.


Day four:
zebra-stripe tailcoat for my Ringmaster character. I altered an existing coat - cut out most of the front, slit up the back, and rounded the tails; stitched the raw edges under for a clean edge; nipped in the waist.

As a day four bonus, I also finished up the final details on my knockoff of Monique's Urban Behavior mini-vest, which had been in progress for several days. (No good stage pics of that one yet, but I'll nab one if it comes up.) At the risk of sounding immodest... I copied it so well that Monique didn't realize I hadn't just gone out and bought the same style until I pointed it out. Go me.

No comments: